The cottage was built using mud and stone in the early 19th century. It originally consisted of two rooms and a loft. A ladder was used to gain access to the loft rather than using stairs.
A feature of this cottage is that it originally had a thatch roof. In 1860 the Earl of Cork had the roof changed to a slate roof making it one of the earliest slated cottages in the area.
At this time a bedroom was also added, causing the main doorway into the house being moved. The outline of the old doorway still remains to be seen. This turned out to be a relatively cheap exercise as the timber work used on the roof came from a shipwreck (“the raic”).
Searching the base of the Dún Beag cliffs, opposite the cottage, for shipwrecked material was a common feature of the local people’s daily lives. In fact there was a small narrow walkway leading down through the steep precipice to the base of the cliffs.
Unfortunately the Atlantic Ocean has now eroded much of this path. The outhouses or “Tigh na mBá” or cow-house and “An Stábla” or stable to the left of the cottage were built in 1880. It is here that the farm animals were housed during the winter months.
Previously the animals would be kept in the family dwelling house but as farm holdings increased due to emigration and the lacing of the penal laws it became feasible to add the outhouses.
There is also an outhouse to the right rear of the Cottage used to house and protect the fowl of the farm. This was known as “cró na gcearc” or hen house.
Also at the rear of the Cottage is a large beehive hut that is at least 800 years old. During the era of the Famine a pig was kept within it’s small confines. It hence earned the name “Puicín na muice” or pig house.